Interlibrary Loan

Request books, articles, & more from other libraries


Request an article

If you need an article not available through Deets Library Journal Finder, you can email us at This will alert us (Marjorie and Library Assistants) to contact libraries who may be able to provide it.

Request a book, dvd, or cd

If you need a physical item that is not available in Deets Library, you can email us at This will alert us (Marjorie and Library Assistants) to contact libraries who may be able to provide it.

What is Interlibrary Loan?

Interlibrary Loan is a service offered to SC students, faculty, employees, and anyone with a library card for the Deets Library. It involves the borrowing of items from another library. Email us at with the title of the item and any other information you have (author, publication date, journal title, ISBN number (books), ISSN number (journals)). Your email will alert Library Assistants and Marjorie to contact libraries who may be able to provide the item(s).

What can be borrowed?

Anything except textbooks and course required materials can be requested for interlibrary loan. However, some items may be difficult to borrow because libraries do not lend them or lend them only in limited quantities. Such items are:

Dissertations and Master’s Theses
Media (films, CDs, DVDs, etc)
Archival and Special collection items
Microfilm (Particularly Educational Documents found in ERIC)

According to Copyright Law, the following restrictions also apply:

the library can only request the same work five times in a year,
the library can only receive five articles published in any periodical title going back five years in a year, and
the library can only request one article per periodical issue or one chapter per book for a patron.

How long does it take?

Articles can be sent electronically within 1-7 days, and receipt of physical items can be received within 4-14 days due to shipping and receiving books through courier or the US Postal Service.An email is sent from when the item is available.

Can PS learners use Interlibrary Loan?

Yes, interlibrary loan is available to PS learners. However depending on your location to Winfield and on the time you need the material, you may want to use your local library to request your interlibrary loan. Materials requested for PS learners must be shipped to the library and then shipped to you. You are also responsible for shipping it back to the library if it is a book, DVD, or CD . If you are in the Wichita, KS, area, you can return library items to the PS campus. Contact the library if you have questions.

Do I need to return a photocopy?

No, photocopies are yours to keep. You need to return any physical library items such as books, DVDs, and CDs.

Where do I pick up and return items?

Items can be picked up at the circulation desk unless you are a distance/online student and wish it mailed to you.
Photocopies of articles are yours to keep. Books or other physical items must be returned to the Southwestern College Library (not the library from which it originated) so that we can send it back to the lending library.

You may return it by mailing it back to the Southwestern Library, by dropping it off at the Professional Studies Center, or by bringing it by the Main Campus library. If you choose to mail the book, you are responsible for paying the postage costs for returning the item to us. Our address is: Southwestern College Library; 100 College Street; Winfield, KS 67156 USA.

How long are materials checked out?

This depends on the lending library’s policy. Normally the checkout will be from 2-4 weeks.

Can I renew an item?

Renews depend on the lending library. Some will not allow ILL items to be renewed while others will.

If you need a renewal, e-mail or call(620.229.6312) at least 4 days before the due date and we will notify you if it has been approved.

What does it cost?

The library tries to borrow items for free. However, some items may be only found in libraries that charge $10-$25. If a library tells us that there will be a charge, we will contact you to determine if you are willing to pay the fee before we finalize the order for the item.

If a book or non photocopy item is borrowed through Interlibrary Loan but not returned, you will be billed by the lending library for the replacement cost of the book/item.

How do I submit an Interlibrary Loan request?

Confirm that Southwestern library does not own the item.

If it is a book, media, or other physical item, search the SC catalog.
If it is an article, search Find Full Text Periodicals to confirm that the library does not have a copy of the periodical and, subsequent, article.

After you confirm that the library does not own it, complete the appropriate online form found at the top of this page. You may also use the interlibrary loan features found in some of the databases.

What physical items are owned in Kansas?

The Kansas Library Catalog contains all of the books owned by every college, public, hospital and high school library in Kansas. Once in the catalog, choose the “Request This Item” button within an item’s description to bring up the automated borrowing form. The lending library will ship the book to the SC Library and we will ship it on to you. You will need to return the book to the Southwestern College Library at the end of the borrowing period.

What physical items are owned nationally and/or globally?

The database WorldCat contains all of the items owned by most libraries in the United States as well as many abroad.

You may submit requests for items in WorldCat but keep in mind the following:

Borrowing something from WorldCat will take longer than borrowing from a library within Kansas.

WorldCat, while containing books, may contain items that are very difficult to borrow including theses, dissertations, and archival and media items.

Items not owned by many libraries may be difficult to borrow since they could be rare.

Chat 24/7